Saturday, January 17, 2009

"The aim of education should be to teach us how to think, rather than what to think" -James Beattie

You don't know how psyched I am about becoming a teacher. Seriously. I'm taking my first education course this semester, and it has only made me want to become a teacher even more.

Since I was six years old, I have wanted to educate. It is all I've ever wanted to do with my life (besides becoming a professional tap dancer). In class the other day, my teacher made us write down our top three reasons why we all hope to become teachers someday. My three? One: my desire to inspire others. There is nothing more fulfilling than passing on your knowledge and love of something to others. Two: my love of the subject. English has always clicked with me; I enjoy it more and more each day. Three: my hope of making a difference in the world. Ever see the movie or read the book Freedom Writers? Yeah, that's what I hope to do with my life.

Ninety-eight percent of the time when I tell people, especially adults, that I'm majoring in English and Secondary Education, they look down upon me. Indirectly, they tell me that I could be doing so much more with my life, my talents, my intelligence. All I can respond with is: "This is the only thing I've ever wanted to do." I know for sure that no matter how little money I make, I will be truly happy in my field.

I feel so blessed to know that teaching is my calling; I couldn't picture myself doing anything else. Over this Christmas break, I started to get interested in speech pathology. I researched it, and I was just turned off by the whole idea; I knew it just wasn't for me. I feel like this with every other profession, like no other job is going to be as satisfying and rewarding than being an educator. I simply cannot wait.

No comments: